Binh chủng Thiết Giáp QLVNCH
The Armor School was first established by the French Army at the Vietnamese Military Academy in Dalat in 1950 and was staffed by French officers and Vietnamese enlisted men. In late 1952 the school was dissolved and its functions taken over by the Thu Duc Reserve Officers School. Then, in February 1955, when the Thu Duc Reserve Officers School became the Thu Duc Military School Center, the armor portion was again established as a separate school. Finally, when the other schools of the training center moved to their new locations in October 1961, the Armor School became an independent entity under the Armor Command and has remained so ever since.
The mission of the school was to train armor personnel in the use and tactics of all armor-type vehicles found in the RVNAF inventory. It also conducted basic and advanced unit training for all newly activated ARVN armor units to ensure that they were combat ready before going into the field as operational forces.
On 13 December 1969, construction of a tank gunnery range was completed at Trang Bom. The range, approximately forty kilometers from the school, permitted trainees to fire main batteries without having to travel excessive distances to tank ranges under U.S. or Australian operational control. For more information on History of Armor of the South Vietnamese Army, click HERE (Vietnam Studies, Department of The Army)